The Kenya Hospital Association
The Kenya Hospital Association was formed in 1950 by the Government of the Colony of Kenya and was charged with the responsibility of overseeing improvement of healthcare for the Europeans. The company which was initially known as the Kenya European Hospital Association is accredited with the construction of The Nairobi Hospital (then known as the Nairobi European Hospital).
The association is registered as a company limited by guarantee, and not having share capital and it has voluntary membership. The management of the Hospital, as laid down in the Memorandum and Articles of Association, is vested in the Board of Management. The Directors, known as Members of the Board of Management, receive no remuneration for their services.
The Board consists of nine (9) fully paid-up elected members of the Association. Of the nine (9) elected members not more than two (2) are members of the Admitting staff Association. In addition to the nine (9) members the Chairman and the Vice Chairman of Medical Advisory Committee are ex-officio members of the Board. The Chief Executive Officer, the Finance Director, the Matron and Co-opted members (if any) sit in the Board.
The nine (9) elected members retire by rotation every year and can be re-elected if eligible for re-election during the Annual General Meeting. No member can serve for more than three (3) consecutive terms.
All doctors who are granted admitting privileges at The Nairobi Hospital must join the Kenya Hospital Association. The Board has the sole responsibility for the Hospital. All Board Committees including the Medical Advisory Committee derive their existence and power from the Board of Management.